Making your own THC oil is a cost-effective way to create unique cannabis products that best suit your needs. THC oil can be used in a variety of DIY projects, including homemade topicals, edibles, tinctures, and more. Learning how to make THC oil might take some practice, but it’s well worth the effort. Let’s discuss how THC oil is created, step-by-step instructions for making THC oil, and a few of our favorite recipes!
What Is THC Oil?
Before you learn how THC oil is made, it might be handy to understand what it is in the first place. THC oil is a concentrated form of cannabis, meaning that it has high levels of THC, the primary psychoactive cannabinoid in marijuana.
It is made by extracting the active compounds from marijuana plant material and then mixing it with a carrier oil, such as coconut or extra virgin olive oil.
Homemade THC oil should be consumed with caution and only by individuals over the age of 21 in areas where it is legal. It is important to note that the production, possession, and use of THC oil may be illegal in some regions.
What Do You Need to Make THC Oil?
To make THC oil at home, you will need several ingredients and materials:
- 1/8 -1 ounce of ground cannabis flower
- Baking sheet
- Parchment paper
- 1 ounce of carrier oil (see below)
- Double-boiler or a saucepan AND a baking dish
- Mesh strainer or cheesecloth
- Medium-sized bowl
- Storage container (preferably dark glass)
How to Choose A Carrier Oil to Make THC Oil
While THC extract is extremely potent, it is not the primary ingredient in THC oil. The extracted THC gets mixed with a carrier oil to be used in various products.
Carrier oils are thick oils made from plants, nuts, or seeds. They have their own unique benefits and textures that accentuate the use of THC oil.
Some of the most common carrier oils for THC products include:
- Avocado oil
- Coconut oil
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Hemp Seed oil
- Jojoba oil
- Peanut oil
- Sesame oil
- Sunflower oil
- Sweet almond oil
As we mentioned, carrier oils make up the majority of THC oil. Therefore, it’s important you use high-quality carrier oils to make the most effective products. Try to use carrier oils that have been certified organic by the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA).
How Much THC Can Coconut Oil Hold?
One of the most commonly used carrier oils is coconut oil because it contains high levels of saturated fat. This makes it an ideal medium for extracting and absorbing cannabinoids, including THC. As a result, THC will be easier for you to absorb!
When THC is infused into coconut oil, the fat in the oil acts as a binding agent for the cannabinoids, allowing them to be absorbed more effectively by the body. Unlike water-soluble molecules, cannabinoids are fat-soluble, which makes them highly compatible with coconut oil's fatty components. Additionally, coconut oil has a relatively low smoking point compared to other oils, which can help prevent the degradation of THC during the cooking process.
The amount of THC absorbed by coconut oil can vary depending on factors like the quality of the starting material, temperature, and duration of the infusion process. Generally, most cannabis infusion recipes suggest using a ratio of one cup of coconut oil to one ounce of cannabis flower to produce a potent THC-infused product. That's around 7% THC per cup of coconut oil!
But remember, different people have different levels of tolerance, so it's important to start with a small amount and gradually increase the dosage if needed.
Instruction on How to Make THC Oil at Home
Once you’ve selected your carrier oil, you are ready to go! Here’s a step-by-step guide on how to make THC oil at home.
- Preheat the oven - THC must be activated by converting its precursor, TCHA, into it. This process is known as decarboxylation. Preheat the oven to 220°F.
- Prep the flower - Put parchment paper on a baking sheet and place cannabis flower on it.
- Decarb the flower - Bake the flower for 25-30 minutes. Be sure not to burn the weed.
- Allow flower to cool - When the buds turn brownish, they are ready. Take them out to allow to cool.
- Mix cannabis with carrier oil - Put the cannabis in the top half of a double boiler or in a baking fish. Add in the carrier oil and mix well.
- Boil the mixture - Add hot water to the bottom of a double boiler (or saucepan if you have no double boiler). Place the cannabis and carrier oil mixture on top.
- Allow to simmer - Keep the mixture on a simmer for 1-3 hours. Stir frequently. Check the temperature to make sure it's above 160°F and below 200°F. Also, check the water to replenish if it evaporates before you're done.
- Strain the oil - Allow the oil to cool to room temperature. Wrap a cheesecloth around or place a strainer on top of your storage container. Pour the mixture into the cloth to catch all plant matter and strain out the THC oil. If you have a cheesecloth, work the fabric to drain as much oil as possible from the buds. For those with strainers, use a spatula to push down on the plant matter and release oil.
- Store your oil - Keep your THC oil in a glass container and store in a cool, dry place.
How Much Hash Oil Per Ounce Will You Yield?
To determine how much THC oil per ounce you can yield, it's necessary to consider the THC percentage in the cannabis flower and the potency of the final tincture.
Assuming a cannabis flower with 20% THC content and a 1:1 ratio of plant material to oil, you can expect to yield approximately 6ml of THC oil per ounce of cannabis flower.
To make an ounce of THC oil, you would need around 5-7 grams of high-THC cannabis flower, depending on the potency of the strain and the amount of tincture desired. It's important to note that the final potency of the product will depend on the specific strain of cannabis used and the extraction process, so it is recommended to start with small amounts to determine your personal dosage.
How to Make THC Oil Products
Once you have THC oil, here comes the fun part -- using it! Here are some DIY recipes for adding THC oil to your daily routine.
THC Oil Topical
Making a CBD oil topical is easy and can be done at home using a few simple ingredients.
- 1/2 cup of coconut oil
- 1/2 cup of shea butter
- 500mg-1000mg of THC oil
- 20 drops of your favorite essential oil
- In a double boiler, melt the coconut oil and shea butter together over low heat.
- Once fully melted, take the mixture off the heat and let it cool for a few minutes.
- Add the desired amount of CBD oil and stir until thoroughly mixed.
- Pour the mixture into a jar and let it cool to room temperature.
- Once cooled, the mixture will solidify into a cream-like consistency.
To use the CBD oil topical, apply a small amount of the cream and massage gently into the skin. Store the cream in a cool, dry place and use as needed. Be sure to always consult with a healthcare professional before using any new product.
THC Oil Gummy
Making THC edibles is a fun and simple way to get a good buzz. Here’s a quick recipe using everyday ingredients.
- 1/2 cup of fruit juice (orange, grape, lemonade, or any other juice of your choice)
- 2 tablespoons of honey
- 2 tablespoons of pectin
- 1/2 teaspoon of THC oil
- In a saucepan, combine the fruit juice, honey, and pectin.
- Heat the mixture on low, whisking constantly until the pectin has fully dissolved.
- Remove from heat and add the THC oil. Mix well.
- Use a dropper to draw up the mixture and release them into gummy molds.
- Place the molds in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes or until the gummies have fully set.
- Pop the gummies out of the molds and enjoy!
Store gummies in a cool, dry place and out of reach of children.,
Making THC oil At Home
Making THC oil at home can be a cost-effective way to enjoy the benefits of THC while controlling the dosage and potency of the product. Using a carrier oil like coconut oil is an excellent way to extract and absorb THC effectively, but it's important to remember that the potency and effects can vary significantly depending on the individual.
It's always best to start with a small amount and gradually increase the dosage as needed. A little goes a long way with high-quality THC oil!